Sunday 5 September 2010

Attack of the Deadly White WASP! - Day of the Dace - River Stour - 4th September 2010

Four attempts to get the Dace point from the Severn and Avon failed. I had caught many Roach, Chub, Perch, Gudgeon and Minnows, but few Dace. I decided to look for new water. Internet research led me to a stretch of the Stour (upstream of Kidderminster). Thanks for the info goes to Poison dans la Fleuve. http://www.fishing-forum.info/going-fishing-catch-report/21317-river-stour-midlands-one.html

A canal runs by the pub (The Lock) and the small, once heavily polluted river meanders by the canal...


Upstream of the Pub I settled into this swim. My over-optimism positioned the keepnet, but 2 hours of fishing resulted in diddly squat...

After a bit of a trek (along the canal) and downstream riverwise, there was further access to the bank. I fancied this swim, snaggy in front...

But a lovely run to my left...

My second cast resulted in a Chub , then Dace! After 2 hours I had Dace (to 6oz), Chub (to 8oz), Roach (to 10oz) and Perch (to 8oz) a great mixed bag. I weighed in the Dace at 1lb 9oz...

The best Dace was this 6oz monster...

For the last hour I ledgered to see what was going on on the deck, this resulted in 3 more small Dace and a couple of small Roach.

Tackle... a good christening for my new Shakespeare 13ft float rod, which replaces a rod I kindly donated to another angler by leaving it down the Avon! ABU 704, 3bb stick float, 1.75 bayer hooklength to a spade end 18. Maggots...
Interesting Nature Fact of the Day. I got stung by a new breed of Deadly White Wasp and thought I might die. I now believe that the pink flowered plants (that were everywhere), were Himalayan Balsam. The pollen of this invasive species coats the Wasps like talcum powder, making them appear white ... http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects-and-invertebrates/16824-white-wasps.html




No comments:

Post a Comment